5 Things You Can Do Today To Improve Your Menstrual Cycle
Has Progesterone Got You Down?
Years ago, my cycle started getting a little crazy, I was noticing more anxiety, spotting, and PMS…nothing I have ever experienced before, this was NOT normal. It never is normal!
I had been under a lot more stress, starting a business, moving, had a new baby and probably wasn’t taking the best care of myself. So, what did I do? Anybody who knows me knows that I love experimenting with things, this way I can not only make recommendations but also have a first-hand experience of how it may or may not work…for me anyways! So, what did I do first? I evaluated my hormones via a lab test.
A little progesterone background first: Progesterone is important for pregnancy, it is also the hormone which balances estrogen. It is responsible for maturing the lining of the uterus to support pregnancy. However, when pregnancy is not the case it is then responsible for initiating menses, enhancing mood and getting proper sleep. Progesterone and particularly it’s metabolite a-pregnanediol is calming, seductive, easing and neutralizes stress…this is very important in our cycle to prevent anxiety! So, when this lovely metabolite is not high enough or if it drops too soon we notice cranky pants…withdrawal…the dreaded PMS!
3 things that impact Progesterone:
- Aging: from 35 years of age toward menopause progesterone begins to lower
- Stress: yes stress, stress impacts everything! Here cortisol which is produced while under stress actually blocks your progesterone from their cells, which causes lower progesterone and the result is anxiety, shorter luteal phase (the second part of your cycle) which could lead to infertility as well
- Not ovulating: If you do not ovulate, then your body is not signalling to produce progesterone, understanding why you are not ovulating is very important to fix the underlying cause
The good news is there are easy steps you can take today to begin addressing a progesterone deficiency! First and foremost, if you have not had your hormones checked, a properly done lab test and interpretation by a functional medicine doctor would be a good place to start!
A few other tips to begin healing:
- Vitamin C: Did you know that Vitamin C is the only vitamin actually proven to increase your Progesterone levels? As little as 750 mg/day can make a huge difference! This was a game changer for me!
- De-stress: Daily stress management practice
- Community: socializing with family and friends, connection with loved ones has shown to improve progesterone
- Calm Down: Avoiding stimulants
- Rest: Getting adequate and good quality sleep
If you’re reading this and shaking your head yes to all of this and maybe more, it is important to get your hormones checked to get at the underlying cause of what could be impacting them. This is just a part of the big picture!
To schedule a FREE discovery call, click the link below!
Do This One Thing to Improve Digestion
It’s time to sit down and eat breakfast…. But you’re stressed about the day ahead, checking your phone while mindlessly swallowing your food without really even chewing it. Do you think your body is prepared to digest the meal that you just consumed? In other...read more
Feeling Sick? 3 Steps to Start Healing Now!
You know the feeling, you wake up and sense the onset of a head cold… An achy body, scratchy throat, and throbbing eyes - oh no! You have a long list of things to do and places to be and don’t have time to get sick. But instead of heading to the medicine cabinet to...read more
A Simple Formula to Get Your Spouse on Board With Your Health Journey
Have you ever been excited to start a new health and wellness program… Only to almost instantly have a feeling of dread wash over you as you think about trying to convince your partner that this is in fact a wise decision that will benefit the whole family? This is...read more
How Patricia Lost 23lbs in 10 Weeks Without Pills, Potions, or Planks
Meet Patricia, a woman in her sixties who has tried different weight loss programs and diets multiple different times in her life, but none of them gave her permanent results! Recently, Patricia was struggling with severe back pain. She also gained excess weight and...read more